Saturday 20 November 2010

A forgetful blog

What a daftie! Here I am onshore and have been for a week and unable to post pictures from my camera onto the net because I've left my memory card adapter bobbing up and down on the Atlantic. It's not the kind of thing you can pop out and buy in Kirkcudbright so I'll just have to wait for one to come through the post and in the meantime here's a few phone pictures I've grabbed on the way past. Seems that I'm not the only forgetful person in the country as I spotted this rather small furry boot sitting out in Buchanan Street in Glasgow - I imagine some poor child has had to hop all the way home.



It's not much, but I saw my first snow of the winter while passing by Sanquhar on the train on the way back. Look carefully it's over there in the distance. 

An old friend has sent me a supply of selected tea. Wright appreciated it is too - thank you very much.

It's been an uneventful week here on dry land, so last night I thought I would pop round to the Masonic Arms and see what they had on tap this week. I had the last pint of Highlander by Fyne Ales from the barrel and a wee taste of Vital Spark also from Fyne Ales before I bought the first pint from that barrel. A couple of Tennants lager drinkers had had a wee taste before me with face crumpling effects so I thought that there might be a problem with it but it really is a lovely beer.


The local youth in the bar were ordering all sorts of strange things from the bar - it has become apparent to me for a long time that the science of drinking too much has advanced greatly in the last 20 years. I like to wake up well in the morning so I declined the offer of an unknown substance from the bar and had a quick look at the beer menu before going home. I settled on a bottle of Nils Oscars God Lager, a chunky old brew that threatens to give lager a good name (literally for those with a command of Swedish)
 As I type this the postman has arrived and delivered my new adapter so I'll be able to post  pictures now, though that I think will be a job for tomorrow. Have a good day everyone.

4 comments:

Shundo said...

Well you are doing a fine job with the phone camera in the meantime.
I think if I was up in the Sierras right now, we would also be getting some snow, but in the city it is just a good old soaking with a very rare thunderstorm thrown in.

What was it about the Vital Spark that upset the Tennants lads so much, apart from it having some flavour?

The Glebe Blog said...

On a recent visit to the Kelvin House hotel in Glenluce the Real Ale on offer was Top Totty.
A member of our party who indulged praised it highly.
Slaters state that it's "A stunningly blonde… beer, full bodied with a voluptuous hop aroma. This award winning beer brewed solely with Whitbread Golding variety hops produces an initial burst of bitterness with a citrus fruity finish."
Perhaps I should try something other than Guinness.

Michael (Light-In-A-Box) said...

It's so cold here, beer is the furthest thing from my mind, maybe one of your warm tea's may do! The phone pictures still tell the story...
Michael

Sandy's witterings said...

Shundo, I can't imagine it would snow very often in San Fransisco but I once went to South Africa and got snowed on, so I suppose you may get a little from time to time.

Jim, I'm quite partial to the odd Guinness but I do like a little variety in my beer - always good to see at least some local pubs bringing in good beer.


Michael - kettles on.