Thursday 9 June 2011

Half timbered and balloons

Now,having had two blogs so far from inside Chester Cathedral, you'll not be too surprised to find Bev and me doing a bit of wandering around outside in Chester. Chester is a feast of half timberedness. This fine example bears the legend, "antiqui colant antiquum dierum", which means "let the ancients worship the ancient of days"and is on the city coat of arms.


This fellow is Mr Alleyne-Johnson. Between his box of electronics, his fiddle and sustantial dollop of talent he was making a fairly impressive noise. You can look him up on youtube if you want.


This is A Celebration of Chester by Stephen Broadbent (the pigeon is temporary)


Chester is famous for it's rows, which are covered walkways on the first floor (second floor for those on the other side of the pond) - effectively, it's a second street level.


A carved dragon



Just visible in the above picture, if you know where to look, is The Old Boot Inn up on the walkway. We popped in there for a wee refreshment. I had a fine pint of Samuel Smiths Ale but it paled into insignificance when compared to the pint of Samuel Smith stout Bev had. I had definately a choice error on my behalf. It was quite superb from the wee taste of it I had.


They had a characterful floor too.



Near the Cathedral is this statue of an elephant. It is called Janya and was made by a lady called Annette Yarrow. It was presented to the city by Chester Zoo.


This is the Eastgate clock,it sits above the Eastgate curiously. It is said to be the second most photographed clock in the country after clock on the clock tower at the Houses of Parliment in London (not Big Ben as Wikipedia try to tell us - which is a bell - silly wiki!)


Of course it's going to appear frequently photographed if people insist on putting it on their blogs twice.


St George sticking it to that poor old dragon again - who's responsible for dusting these things by the way.




Towards the end of the afternoon we were accosted by a nutter in a harlequin costume. He did insist on tying us a balloon animal each. This is a tiger. The other one was an equally convincing and unphotographed penguin. We were meant to take it home and tippex it's tummy (honest - you can't make this stuff up)


We finished our afternoon with a cuppa in this cafe. Oh look we've left the tiger behind in the entrance.


 We left the penguin there too after failing to give them to a small child ( I think the father was about to call the police)

9 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Chester is a wonderful town, all those half timbered buildings. I like that dragon too, not the one being attacked by St George but the other one.

Dave Wenning said...

Is the little dragon gargoyle part of the ADT security system? The antiquum meets the novum I guess.

The Glebe Blog said...

Great post Sandy.
I visited Chester quite a bit back in the sixties and I've some good memories.
I think it was 1966 and I was going out with a lass who worked as a cashier at Chesters ABC.One day I picked her up to the sounds of Pop music from inside.I didn't get to see him,but it was apparently Gene Pitney on tour.

With reference to the first floor walkways,perhaps those on the otherside of the pond might now realise that we invented the skywalk before some of their cities were built.

Shundo said...

Help, help, a strange man is trying to give me a balloon penguin. I hear this kind of thing is rather frowned upon these days.

Sandy's witterings said...

Thanks Juliet, It seems that dragons have got a hard time in olde England.

Dave, I suspect you're right - I'd be less likely to break into a house guarded with a dragon than with a time box which may or may not contain electronics.

Gene Pitney in Chester, Jim. It doesn't seem a huge place for a big star of the day. My parents occasionally talk of Little Richard playing Dumfries. Your big stars don't seem to do little towns any more.

Ah Shundo, so much is frowned upon these days. It's difficult being a dinosaur.

Sultan said...

Looks warm and festive.

Zia Wolf-Sun said...

Love the little carved dragon! Can I have him?! lol ;) Great town Chester...went there a long time ago when I was still very small. Seeing it now, reminds me of a recent visit to Bramall Hall/Park during a trip home to Manchester to see my parents.The Hall is in the same design as Chester buildings and atmospheric too. Great photos thanks for the welcome tour :)

Poppy (aka Val) said...

I love the little carved dragon, and I bet there are lots of children who stroke the elephant as they walk past! I embarrassed my son last week by stroking a statue of a lamb that is in Canterbury.....lol Great blog thanks for sharing :)

Sandy's witterings said...

Thank you Laoch, Zia and Poppy.

Poppy, it's in a parents job description to embarrass the kids from time to time. The little elephant was getting quite a bit of attention and I had to wait my turn to get a clear picture of it.