Friday 2 November 2012

Nearly wild camping.

Camping at the end of October, you might think I'm mad - I know many of you do already. Actually the weather was far kinder to me than it was a month ago. A little chilly perhaps, which is easily sorted, but a lot drier. Once I'd found the Gimme Shelter campsite on the net I was intrigued - only the most basic of facilities but almost universally good reviews. Shiny loos and electrical hookups can certainly make life in a tent more comfortable but part of the attraction of camping is being out in the wild and this campsite is about as near to living in the wild as you can get without actually being in the wild.

Chris and Yvonne who run the campsite have a wee blog here and a pile of videos on a Youtube channel here.

As you can see from this shot at the entrance to the campsite that Autumn seems to have arrived all of a sudden this year. Perhaps I was still waiting for Summer, which has been distinctly A.W.O.L. this year.



First things first.


Tea made and tent up. Each of the little camping areas around the site was given a name, this one I was in was called Burro.


Just behind the tent was a caravan with a shack built on the front which was also available for hire. This one was called Rosebank, if my memory serves me correctly.


This was simply called Shack.


Two more of the little camping areas in the woods.



It had Brockfield House on the door. I'm not sure this one was in use.


Up towards the top end of the campsite the pitches become more open, which is perhaps reflected in some of their names.


The loo.



Complete with an elegant mirror. Here I am seeing how presentable I am before wandering back out into the real world.


The gallery and shop. Which sold odd supplies and hired occasional camping supplies like bedrolls and seats.


Chris, the owner (and pleasant fellow), makes things out of some of the wood found on site (also walking sticks and chairs) which were for sale.


Now here I was tempted to part with cash - a complete fire kit from paper, through kindling, to logs enough to keep a campfire going for a couple of hours.


All transactions for the shop were carried out through the honesty pot.


Just because I'm having a big dose of back to nature, doesn't mean I can't take advantage of the shop's wifi and check my e mails.


Perhaps it's something primitive or perhaps it just takes me back to my scouting days (though my memories of trying to light fires then always seem to involve great difficulty and this one went easily on the first attempt), either way, I did enjoy a couple of hours in the evening at my fire.







Good night all.

10 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

now that's real camping!

I've not been camping for years and not sure I'd be brave enough to try it in October in this country. Particularly as my most recent camping experiences were in Africa.

Mind you what's British October weather compared to elephants and warthogs in a Zimbabwean campsite?

Dominic Rivron said...

What a great looking campsite! Our last expedition was to Seathwaite in the Lake District. It was only a few weeks ago: the night all that burning space debris shot over the British Isles (we didn't see it but we heard it). The field was full of cute-looking rams and the air full of the sound of Sourmilk Gill waterfall.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

What a great idea for a campground. A wonderful concept, although the Little House on the Highway would not fit in to the theme.

The Glebe Blog said...

That's a cracking (or crackling) fire you lit for the night Sandy. Do they still break up ships at Inverkeithing ?

Sandy's witterings said...

Juliet, I should think a bit of frost is easier to deal with than a herd of elephants. I have a little African experience and a little camping experience - they have no crossover point what so ever.

Dominic - Indeed the Lake District is quite delightful but so ful of people.

John - you're mobile accomodation is a little on the large side for here. Mind you there's plenty of places you could stop and have a campfire for yourself and Sinbad from time to time.

I passed through Inverkeithing Jim but didn't pay it much attention - getting the tent up before dark seemed more important. I shall check it out the next time I'm passing.

Ellie said...

Hi Sandy, how are you getting on?
Oh what a cool campsite. In fact at this time of year it must have been VERY cool, brrrr.
I'm afraid to say I like my comfort but it does look like fun.
It sounds as if you fairly enjoyed yourself though.:))

Sophie said...

Hi Sandy
Thanks for stopping by my blog - I thought I would pop over to your world to see what you have been up to and well, I am impressed - that is rustic camping indeed!
And in October......
Clearly you are mad!
;-)
Sophie

Ruthie Redden said...

ooh Sandy now thats my sort of camping, back to nature. I could happily loose myself there for a wee while or two.

Zia Wolf-Sun said...

Looks great Sandy! But I don't envy you at this time of year it's freezing! I'd have been shivering by the tea pot the whole time drinking endless cups of tea round the campfire :)

Sandy's witterings said...

Ellie, cool is alright - I've got jerseys, coats, hats and all those kind of things - it's wet I want to avoid.

Sophie, Welcome. You're psychological assessment is probably spot on - just don't tell anyone :)

That campsite certainly seemed a good wee hiding place Ruthie - I can see myself back at some point.

The tea wasn't quite continuous Wolfie, I took a small break for a bottle of beer.