Friday 17 September 2010

Greyfriers and it's churchyard

From the Grassmarket, I wandered up Candlemaker row which has the well known statue of Greyfrier's Bobby at the top of it.


This is just opposite Greyfrier's churchyard



The grave of John Gray, Greyfrier's Bobby's owner, where loyal Bobby remained after his master's death - awwww.



I actually managed to get into the church on Wednesday which is a first for me - they were having a furniture exhibition in there, which though perhaps not the most ecumenical use, probably repairs the odd tile on the roof. You will realise by now that I'm a sucker for a nice bit of stained glass which this church has though not terribly old I think.





Good grief - there was enough Scottish sun shining through that one to project it onto the ground



Greyfrier's isn't all about nice glass and fluffy bunny stories just asking for that Disney treatment. It's actually the creepiest place I think I've been in broad daylight as we'll find in the next blog.

In the mean time, here's an open crypt to be looking into.



No comments: