Friday 10 September 2010

MacCrisps

Some of you may remember my soup review from last year sometime in which I tucked into a tin of haggis soup. Well it was inevitable that sooner or later the crisp people would have a go at it (that's chips to our friends across the pond). I first spotted a packet on a train food trolly but the trolly lady was only prepared to sell me them if I bought them as part of a meal deal along with a sandwich - she didn't have any sandwiches so they were effectively decoration. I spotted some in the supermarket but they only came in one ton bags and as it's impossible to eat half a bag of crisps, no matter what size, I employed a little prudence (not one of my common traits). So three cheers to the local Kirkcudbright deli who amidst the home made jams, local cheeses and expensive continental biscuits, stock haggis crisps. Well, Haggis and cracked black pepper to be precise.

And how were they? None too bad I suppose. Generally savoury, and is you concentrate carefully you can just pick up a little haggissyness going "Yoo Hoo over here ...... no over here". Better they were called Haggisish and cracked black pepper. Back to prawn cocktail for me.

Look how pink our local deli wall is!

8 comments:

The Glebe Blog said...

Thanks for the review, I've been tempted to buy them in our supermarket,but I'll trust your judgement and give them a miss now.

Unknown said...

Nope, no haggis or haggis chips to be found on this side of the pond. I once had a girlfriend from your neck of the woods who threatened to make me eat haggis and she was certainly mean enough to do it.....she just couldn't get me drunk enough.

Sandy's witterings said...

Pleased to be of service Jim - haggis soup was equally unrecommended.

Chip, Haggis itself is very recommended, though forget tradition - it's better with baked beans or on a roll with a squirt of HP sauce. Getting drunk is to eat it is only optional.

Unknown said...

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,that is so wrong, bean's or hp sauce with haggis!!!!!!, thats like a full beef roast with tomato ketchup,

ps,, bet you like fryed egg sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy's witterings said...

Oh yes! It might be wrong but......
Well, roast beef has a choice of horseradish sauce or mustard before you get complaints and what does haggis have..... Mashed turnip!! I ask you!!
What do we want? Haggis!
What do we want on it? Brown sauce!!!!

Sandy's witterings said...

p.s. I'm not normally an egg fan and held out against the egg sandwich for years. But a couple of years ago, in a nice relaxed festival situation, Bev sneeked a fried egg roll in under the radar and I have to admit to enjoying it.

Unknown said...

Nice to note that someone else can't manage to eat half a bag of crisps either. Thought that I was the only one

Sandy's witterings said...

Technogran, a bag of crisps is really the minimum quantity that you can eat of crisps. Before I open the bag, I try to be as far away from the shop as possible so as to reduce the possibility of going back.